This post came to my attention recently and shocked me. I used to love this stuff! and why?! Good marketing as always.. I've learnt a lot since then and have now discovered the wonder oils that nature provides us with. Simple, natural and effective.
Read on to discover all the nasties in products such as bio oil and for recommendations for a natural (and super scar reducing) alternative
7 Good Reasons to Never Buy Bio-Oil Again
Ahhhh Bio- Oil, that number 1 selling scar and stretch mark product in over 17 countries since its launch in 2002.
Bio Oil contains 29 ingredients of which four are plant extracts found in almost every body product on the market, two are vitamins used in every cosmetic formula out there, one is mineral oil and everything else is slip agents, fillers, fragrance or dyes.
1. Paraffinum Liquidum is a very highly refined mineral oil used in cosmetics and for medical purposes derived from Petroleum. All Petroleum based products contain something called 1,4-Dioxane, which has been listed by the World Health Organisation and the Environmental Protection Agency as a carcinogen and to be avoided.
2. Triisononanoin is another petroleum derivative. Toxic.
3. Isopropyl Myristate is a known skin, lung, and eye irritator and is often animal derived.
4. CI 26100 the red colourant used is a known carcinogen and linked to organ toxicity as it accumulates and stays in our system. The more you use it, the more you have of it.
5. Hydroxycitronellal is a known immune system toxin linked to Autoimmune health concerns.
6. Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde directly linked to Eczema.
7. Parfum could be comprised of thousands of chemicals that companies are not required to disclose. Therefore it is dangerous to use anything with artificial Parfum or Fragrance.
So a mineral oil product is called ‘Bio Oil’ – oh the irony!
Why put mineral oil on your skin when there are so many wonderful moisturising plant oils like jojoba oil, or coconut oil.
Perhaps the commercial answer is that mineral oil is cheap as chips and companies can have an impressive mark up on their products with you remaining none the wiser.
Nature happens to provide us all with beautiful alternatives, Jojoba oil, Sweet almond oil, Vitamin E oil and my absolute favourite... Rosehip oil. It's the 'Vanish' of the beauty world... my Smooth oil described below is designed to reduce blemishes & scarring, restore elasticity and even skin tone, perfect for face or body
Crystal infused Rosehip oil
Rosehip Oil is deeply nourishing and has long been used within studies to reduce the appearance of scarring, whether from burns, acne or injury Rosehip has the ability to regenerate tissue at such a pace that scarring of all kinds is quickly reduces and the skin left renewed and retextured.
Extremely popular to reduce stretch marks on post natal tums, it can even be used to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. Use daily on your growing bump, breast area and hips to help improve skins elasticity
A great oil to correct pigmentation of the skin whether due to pregnancy hormones or raging, rosehip oil will regenerate skin cells and improve discolouration
Rosehip also has wonderful anti aging benefits thanks to it's high levels of antioxidants, Vitamins A & C aswell as essential Fatty acids. It is well known for it's ability to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, smooth out complexion, regenerate fresh skin cells and improve the texture of the skin. Rosehip oil helps to protect your existing collagen keeping you looking radiant and youthful.
Pure Organic Frankincense Essential oil can help to regenerate new tissue growth over the top of older, scarred skin reducing the appearance of scars, stretch marks and blemishes. Frankincense has long been used as a beautifying oil as it promotes youthful skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines and imperfections, tightens loose skin and is the number 1 ingredient for evening skin tone.
Known as the king of oils Frankincense balances your mood and brings feelings of relaxation. An excellent aid in meditation & clearing the mind
Clear quartz is the crystal of purification, it magically clears the free radicals and dead cells aswell as improving clarity of the skin by clearing blemishes.
Clear Quartz is a deeply healing crystal and magnifies the effects of the oil
Apply this nourishing oil as the final step in your evening wind down routine, take a few breaths and let the Frankincense calm your mind. Wake up to refreshed skin
Ingredients: Organic Rosehip oil - Pure Organic Frankincense - Clear Quartz 50ml
USE CODE fortheloveofrosehip
for 15% off